Tuesday, March 3, 2009


REPLAY | The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

These are the transcendent moments, whether they fall on Freytag's Pyramid or merely are pithy asides, that you relive in your imagination or rehash in post-film autopsies over coffee. You replay them countless times. You recap them for your friends. But revisiting never captures the essence of the original.

Director: Sergio Leone; 161m.

In a movie that contains so many memorable scenes, there is a small moment that gives me chills. Of course it pales next to so much majesty, but it goes a long way toward establishing a connection with the two sympathetic title characters. It also foreshadows one of the most iconic moments in the film, the scene where Eastwood offers a soldier his dying puff.

As Tuco and his priest brother come to blows in the mission, the audience sees that "Blondie" has witnessed at least some of the exchange. He slips outside and waits for Tuco with the carriage. When Tuco joins him, boasting of his brother's generosity and their close relationship, his braggadocio meets terse replies. Blondie knows he's lying, but allows his "friend" to save face.

"My belly's full," Tuco gloats. "...Even a tramp like me, no matter what happens, I know there's a brother somewhere who will never refuse me a bowl of soup."

Actually, Tuco is alone. So is Blondie. They form an alliance around their common interests that is as fragile and fleeting as smoke rings. It requires Blondie to withhold the location of the gold; otherwise, Tuco probably would kill him. Still, the men have some history working together, in a bounty scheme that required the utmost trust of Tuco in Blondie — and in the wide, cruel expanse of the civilization-dotted wilderness, that's something.

"Well," Blondie says after Tuco's wounded bravado winds down, "after a meal, there's nothing like a good cigar."

He takes the cigar out of his mouth and passes it to Tuco. Tuco accepts. The gesture is given weight as the men glance at each other, as if to make sure the underlying message is understood. The camera lingers on Tuco as he smokes and a grin of what looks to be satisfaction spreads slowly across his face.
Becky

1 comment:

ClassicJo said...

One of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies. I love the music and now I can't get it out of my head. lol. I am not a big western fan but this is one movie I really liked and you would of pulled me in with this review if I hadn't already seen it.